FinancesWhen you are sick with a chronic medical condition, other stressors in your life can be affected. People who are sick often have trouble paying bills. Without this financial security, it can be become difficult to retain food, shelter, and other necessities that ensure your well-being. Please use our resources below to help you on your journey.

I am having trouble paying my utility bills. I don’t have enough food to eat. I’m having a housing crisis. Where do I turn first?

Dial 2-1-1. PA 2-1-1 Southwest is a free resource and information hub that connects people with community, health, and disaster services. They offer a free, 24/7 confidential phone service.

I would like to apply for disability benefits. Where do I start?

Visit the official Social Security website to apply for disability benefits online. You can also apply by phone at 1-800-772-1213, or visit your local Social Security office.

I would like to apply for cash assistance, food stamps, or medical assistance. Where can I apply?

You can apply for benefits through the PA Department of Human Services. You can apply online using the COMPASS website, or you can apply in person at your local county assistance office.

I recently lost my job. Where can I file for unemployment compensation?

You can fill out an unemployment compensation application here.

I am having trouble paying my utilities. What should I do?

See these instructions from the Department of Human Services to find the steps to arrange a reduced payment plan.

I am looking for public housing options. Who should I contact?

Contact your local Public Housing Authority for more information on your public housing options.

I don’t have enough money to buy groceries, and I have no food in the house. What should I do?

It’s very important that you receive the proper nutrition. If you are not getting all the nutrients you need, this will take a major toll on your body. Search for food assistance services by zip code by clicking on this link.

You can find more information on additional food assistance programs through the Allegheny County Department of Human Services.

Is there a list of financial and housing assistance programs in Allegheny County?

There is! You can find this list here from the Department of Human Services.

My medications are too expensive. Are there any less expensive options?

  • Many pharmacies, such as Giant Eagle, Target, Wal-Mart, and Sam’s Club, offer $4 prescription programs.
  • Compare pharmacy prices for prescriptions using the GoodRxwebsite or app.
  • Find assistance to help you pay for your prescriptions by contacting the Partnership for Prescription Assistance for Pennsylvania, or by visiting RxAssist.

I need to see a doctor, but I can’t afford it. What should I do?

Squirrel Hill Health Center (412-422-7442) provides the highest quality of care, regardless of ability to pay. You can also find other free and other income-based clinics by clicking here.

I have Medicare or Medicaid – How do I find a provider that accepts my insurance?

You can search for a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) by visiting the Pennsylvania Association of Community Health Centers.

I need health insurance. What do I do?

Visit to see if you qualify for health coverage, Medicaid, or CHIP.

I would like to see a therapist, but it is too expensive for me. Are there any low-cost options?

Yes! Clinic Without Walls (412-661-5270) is a nonprofit organization offering reduced-fee, psychodynamic psychotherapy for adults, adolescents, and children in the Pittsburgh community.

If you are still looking for other facilities offering sliding scale fees, try contacting Squirrel Hill Psychological ServicesDuquesne University Psychology Clinic, or the Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute.